Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Barry Buckley

I was walking across the intersection of Bel Marin Keys Boulevard and Nave Drive, when the driver in a blue Karmann-Ghia convertible asked me if I would like a ride. Since it was quite a walk to my destination, I agreed and got in. It turned out that I knew the driver. He introduced himself as Barry Buckley, and I replied that I had spoken with him over the phone after reading about his race for the Board of Supervisor position in the Novato Advance over a month ago.

Barry told me of his SMART plank in his "platform"--he is a builder, after all, and we discussed how the trains would help telecommuting, as well as green building and the toxic sites still on Hamilton and conservation. Buckley said he was particularly interested in my advocacy of a Wi-Fi network for Novato; and how the trains could help implement that, if by nothing else, having the trains "hot zones."
Before he dropped me off, he met my mate, and invited us to watch or attend his debate that night at the School District Offices on Seventh Street. Sandy told him that he should visit New Beginnings Center, and that she would talk to the Director for him. I noted how there are many potential voters in the Hamilton area, who have not registered, and that it was possible for him to win the election, despite the long odds. I brought up the case of an college instructor of mine who became a United States Senator.

His Statement of Candidacy
"A resident of Marin County for over fifty
years, I hope to follow the public service example
of my great-greatgrandfather, Patrick Dundon,
who served on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
I obtained a degree in Political Economy of Industrial
Societies from U.C. Berkeley and have been
in the construction business for twenty -five years.
"My long tenure as a resident of this county, as well
as my educational background and business experience, have given me
a broad perspective of the critical issues, both political and economic,
facing us.
"My campaign will be a "Clean Money" campaign, and my
intent is to solicit only after-tax money donations from individuals.
"As your Supervisor, I will lend my unequivocal support to "smart" growth,
in which the quality of life in this county is not only maintained, but also
improved, for ourselves and for posterity.
"I will support the Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) Project, with its integration of a new regional bike path, commuter train, and ferry link to relieve traffic congestion.
"We must provide affordable housing, especially for safety and health care
workers.
"Please visit my website, VoteForBuckley.com for a more comprehensive overview of these issues."
See Marin IJ article

No comments:

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com